Body Shop wanted a new e-commerce website; they wanted to showcase their products while maintaining their brand image. They want to maintain their values of Great customer service, focus on high-quality over quantity, reasonable pricing, and steer customers towards popular products. I believe that a clean and pleasing UX has become mandatory for businesses in today's world.
Founded in 1976, The Body Shop is a global enterprise with over 2,500 stores in 62 countries. The company sells cosmetics products that are inspired by nature and produced according to strict ethical standards. The product range currently encompasses more than 1,200 products that are also sold on the company’s own website. The product's focus is shampoos, conditioners, bath products, soaps, and skin creams but also includes fragrance, spa products, and beauty-related accessories. Their products are solely based on natural ingredients and manufactured according to an ethical code which is opposed to animal testing.
I completed all activities in the UX project cycle in a solo capacity- from research to design to prototyping. I was in charge of Research, Ideation, Branding, Design, Prototyping, UI/UX Design & Web Design. I conducted user research using interviews and surveys in order to address both user behaviours and attitudes.
Tools: Whimsical, Miro, Procreate, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Figma, Lookback, Zeplin
Techniques: Surveys, Questionnaires, Interviews, Affinity Diagram, Value vs. Complexity Model, Competitive/Comparative Analysis, Mood boards, User Flow, Paper Prototype, Crazy-8, Wireframes, Mockups, Pattern Library, Key Performance Indicators, Remote Un-moderated Usability Testing, Accessibility Analysis, Prototyping
After looking over the brief, I started research on competitor's websites to see any trends or patterns in their UX. I looked at direct and indirect competitors and interviewed users. I was determined to visit as many other e-commerce websites as I could and interview the users and understand their pain-points. 31 people answered my survey in a 48-hour window which provided me with a good start. This was helpful information that helped solidify the stage for my second phase of research. The next step in the design process was to organise the research findings and give it structure. After our ideating stage, I created a MoSCoW graph which helped me come down to specific features I must include on the website. The most important takeaway from this activity was learning how different websites organized their selection and the overall layouts that they used for those websites. After researching and taking into account the cosmetic industry and its nature, I decided to keep the homepage visually appealing and spaced out. A key strategy was to space out the elements and use a minimalist approach.
Based on what I learned in my research, I started with designing a few low-fidelity wire-frames using the crazy-8 method, using a pen and paper. I then chose the one I gravitated towards and created them on Figma. After many iterations, the rough version for developing a low-fidelity prototype was achieved using Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator & Figma. Before coming up with colors, typography, and images, I wanted to put this layout to test to see how my users would process this information without the distraction of visual design and branding.
Overall users were able to easily navigate the web page and locate products and information. However, they did find it a little cluttered. The tests also uncovered that the font size was not consistent and the alignment was a little off. Remote user testing sessions using Lookback was greatly useful as I could observe each user’s behaviors and also listen to them describing their expectations on every interaction. Based on this, I improved my designs.
Effective color matching is a tricky concept to master.
For the most part, I used text sizes, alignment, and line & letter spacing to better communicate information.
I tried to use icons that seem to be from the same product family/suite.
Using the low-fidelity mockups, user feedback, appropriate colors, icons, typefaces, and fonts, I created a high fidelity clickable prototype using Figma. The testing sessions were immensely useful to detect problems and usability issues in my designs.
I used Lookback for Final Testing. Based on the feedback, I increased the font size to 16 pt, placed important links in the footer, prioritized features & created a clean, light, and simple homepage to avoid overwhelming users. Based on the personal insights, observations, and latest UX trends and accessibility standards, I created the final high fidelity prototype using Figma. Once I was confident, I created style sheets, and Component Sheet in Figma and exported the designs to Zeplin for Engineering Handoff.
Although this project was created within two weeks, this short period of time was a great learning experience for me. My role in this project is that of the lead and only UX Designer. I feel like I have met the goals and needs of my user. However, I should have listed fewer goals for the MVP of the app. The key trade-offs were that I had fewer users to test with, less time to research and that prototyping was fast. This resulted in the accumulation of a huge amount of knowledge and many new skills such as Procreate, Whimsical, Miro, Figma, WebAIM, Lookback & Zeplin. By the end of the project, I learned how to conduct user research and come up with insights and findings, turn it into the theme, and building features based on it.